Ask an Ontario Lawyer: When Can the Police Seize My Car?

The police can seize a vehicle under the following circumstances:

  • When an arrest is made under s. 217(4) of the Highway Traffic Act;
  • When the vehicle is abandoned;
  • When the vehicle is unplated;
  • When the driver has received a license suspension;
  • Where the driver has been driving with a suspended license; or
  • Where the vehicle is blocking traffic or snow.

In some cases, if your vehicle has been seized you will need to bring an application to court to have the vehicle released.  An Ontario criminal defence lawyer can assist you with this process.

Charged with Impaired Driving on 401

A 43-year-old impaired driver caused a two-vehicle crash on Highway 401 in Kingston, near the Sydenham Road exit at 6:45 p. m.

The Toronto man was charged for impaired driving and having a blood alcohol level over 0.08.

If you or a loved one have been charged with drinking and driving, click here to order a free copy of “Fighting Drinking and Driving Charges”.